I had roasted a bunch of beets in my CSA box and was just mixing bits of beet in my stir fry veggie meals the past few days. I had to do SOMETHING with these beets! So I made a low carb cupcake recipe – cheesecake cupcakes with BEET.
And they came out GOOD! And if you don’t like beets, let them sit overnight; whatever beet taste they had right after cooking ‘settled out’ overnight in the fridge. I never really had beets and associated them as ‘icky’ in my mind until I roasted some up and tried them. Sweet and nommy! And as a low carb CUPCAKE recipe? #winning.
Beetcake Recipe (makes six cupcakes):
- 3 roasted beets (link goes to details on how to roast beets)
- ~4 oz of Neufchatel cream cheese
- 1 egg
- Liquid stevia
Crust: I was trying to use up some of the flour and also start using all the darn flaxseed meal I have. You can just use only almond flour if you want.
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Liquid stevia
1. Prepare to get your hands massively stained pink and/or your kitchen to look like a Dexter crime scene. Preheat oven to 350 degrees for the body parts… I mean…beetcakes.
2. Blend beets and cream cheese until smooth. Give batter a quick taste to see if you are OK with the naturally sweet mix or if you want to make it sweeter.
3. Add in egg, and any stevia if you want the batter to be sweeter. Blend.
4. Melt butter in microwavable bowl (versus a non microwavable bowl??)
5. Add in the flour(s) and any desired stevia to taste, and mix.
6. Line muffin tin OR spray with non stick spray.
7. Pat about a tablespoon worth of dough into the bottom of the muffin tin.
8. Spread filling evenly over the six cupcakes.
9. Pop into oven for ~17 minutes until you stick something pointy in them and it comes out pretty clean. Take them out, let them cool. Run knife around them to loosen, if you don’t use cupcake liners.
Cheesecake cupcakes always taste better when you refrigerate them for awhile. They get denser and more decadent. I let mine sit for an hour (only because I had to leave the house for an appointment) and came back and ate one…or..uhm… two… mmmmmmmmmm. Next up – give one to my officemate who doesn’t like beets and see if he likes them, and try to lure a child into eating one for a kid approval!
Let me know if you make them and how they came out!!
3 net carbs, 4g of protein, 15 grams of fat per serving