I make a lot of recipes with beets and I really love eating the beet greens as well. I normally just saute the beet greens, but felt that a legitimate beet greens recipe has been long over due. After popping the my most recent batch o’ beets in the oven for them to bake, there were kale leaves and beet greens that were begging to be used.
I also had a head of cauliflower and some neufchatel cream cheese in the fridge. This could mean only one thing – a yummy mash! Now that it’s wintertime, low carb mashes are my favorite comfort food. Throw in some beet greens and I have a legitimate beet greens recipe that isn’t just sauteing the greens and eating straight up leaves.
Mash Up: Kale and Beet Greens
- 1 bunch Beet Greens in this instance, i used golden beet greens
- 1 bunch Lacinato Kale
- 1 head Cauliflower
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 8 ounces Neufchatel Or Cream Cheese
- Chop up and steam cauliflower until tender
- While waiting for the cauliflower, tear the leaves from the stems for both the kale and beet greens
- Move the cauliflower into your blender (I use a Vitamix) and transfer the leaves into the steamer
- Pre blend your cauliflower with the garlic cloves; it's OK to keep it chunky
- You might need to cram all the leaves into your steamer, but that's fine. Steam the leaves until tender
- Transfer the leaves into the blender and add in the cream cheese and blend
- Salt and pepper to taste