I first heard about this book via Jimmy Moore’s interview with Dr. Perlmutter. I promptly purchased the book for my Kindle and fell in love. I wanted to do a give away to raise awareness on some of the forward thinking scientific analysis in dietary world. I think we all see a sea change coming and Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth About Wheat, Carbs and Sugars – Your Brain’s Silent Killers is all about this sea change.
What was different about this book from the many other anti-carb/sugar books I have read is that Grain Brain focuses on how grains and sugars affect the BRAIN (versus just the body), with an emphasis on Alzheimer’s research.
The book covers the following topics in detail:
- Gluten sensitivities and how gluten affects mental stability – there is a huge difference between Celiac disease (which is the extreme version of gluten sensitivities) and just being sensitive to gluten. This book clearly lays out the difference and what issues a person may be experiencing that could be gluten related and how to get checked properly for gluten sensitivities.
- Debunking high cholesterol & fat intake (and how it affects your brain) – you need cholesterol for your brain to function and it’s not fat, but SUGAR, that causes artery disease.
- Alzheimer’s research in regards to how sugar/gluten affects the brain (see a theme here?) and how it is possibly preventable via diet
- Benefits of a ketogenic diet
- A four week plan towards a healthier brain
- A list of recipes to help with the four week plan to a healthier brain
There are definitely a few times in the book when I felt it took an almost extremist edge (it made me want to never allow a child to eat a piece of bread again), but I can see that Dr. Perlmutter is very passionate about this topic and he provides a lot of (sugar free) food for thought (hardee har har).
I love the historical review of the particular food and it’s modern forms. There are a lot of scientific explanations of how the foods affect your body and mind (I love that kind of stuff) and it’s very easy to understand for a lay person.
Whether you are an experienced low carber/gluten free person that wants to know more about how these foods affect the brain or you are turning over a new leaf for the new year and want to learn more, I heartily recommend this book.
If you don’t want to wait for the give away results, you can buy a copy of the book on Amazon. Instant Gratification!
The Give Away
The Grain Brain book giveaway – enter to win!