In today’s Low Carb Thanksgiving substitute, we’ll be making a low carb version of the ever so sweet and popular Sweet Potato Casserole. We’ll use a mash up (literally! haha!) of two OTHER low carb vegetables to mimic this orange treat to make a low carb sweet potato casserole.
Here is a post on how to properly murder and break down your pumpkin for recipes such as this one.
I steam my cauliflower first until tender, then puree it in the food processor.
- 3 cups pureed pumpkin
- 2 cups pureed cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons maple extract
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt + add more based on preference
- 5-6 drops of vanilla liquid stevia
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
Directions: Preheat oven to 350
- Mix your pumpkin and cauliflower puree together
- Mix in butter, maple extract, salt and stevia
- Taste – do you want it saltier/sweeter/maple-y-er? Add more of the salt/stevia/extract
- Once you reach your desired taste level, transfer mash into a baking dish and sprinkle the pumpkin seeds and almonds over evenly
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Transfer to broiler up to four more minutes to brown the almonds (keep a close eye to prevent burning – depends on your broiler!)