As I write this, I’m Day 3 into a head cold. I’m full of snot, coughs and cloudy headedness. All I wanted was some darn chicken noodle soup. A delicious low carb chicken soup with noodles. I’ve seen great interpretations of this before on r/keto and here is what I threw together tonight.
Again, I’m sick so I took EVERY SHORTCUT IMAGINABLE because otherwise, I would have eaten a few spoonfuls of almond butter and called it a night. But my body deserves better than that, so I mustered up the energy as detailed below.
For example, I got a store bought, pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. You know the ones I’m talking about – all major grocery stores have those nice piping-hot cooked whole chickens. Make sure to grab an herb/butter one (NOT one with BBQ sauce on it). These things taste consistently amazing across any grocery store I have gone to and are roughly the same price as a raw chicken. Save yourself the time and effort of chicken-prep, especially if you are not feeling well.
Interestingly enough, this soup tasted even better the next day. WOO!
Low Carb Chicken Soup with Noodles
- 1 whole Chicken cooked
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 4 Carrots
- 5 stalks Celery
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 0.5 Onion
- 64 ounces Chicken Broth do not get low sodium
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Summertime Savory if you have it - if not, add in thyme and or rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- Black Pepper
- Stab the spaghetti squash and microwave it for ten minutes
- While waiting for the squash, coarsely chop up the carrots, celery, garlic and onion
- Sautee the vegetables with a dash of olive oil until tender
- Pour chicken broth into a large sauce pan and set heat to medium high - add cinnamon stick to broth
- Check on that squash - it should indent easily to the touch when poked - turn it on it's side and nuke it in 5 minute increments until it's tender
- Tear the chicken apart, eat the skin while it's nice and hot if you are hungry. Put all the meat/skin in a bowl and have the meat as bite sized pieces
- Once vegetables are tender, dump them into the chicken broth pot
- How's that spaghetti squash coming along? Tender yet? If yes, cut him in half and let it cool for a bit. If not, keep microwaving.
- Add chicken, salt, oregano, nutmeg, pepper and any other herb spices you are using to the broth
- Remove the seeds/internal part of the squash and shred squash with a fork to get the 'noodles'. Add the noodles to the soup
- Sample the soup - adjust seasonings as needed
- Let simmer for a few minutes and voila! Don't forget to remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaves before serving.