But I found myself staring into a mostly empty fridge at 9 PM on a week night. All I had in there was a head of broccoli and a bunch of radishes leftover from my last CSA box.
I was hungry. I not so secretly wanted to order pizza. But no! If the contestants in Chopped can come up with their recipes, so can I.
And Lo! I made the unsexiest, but super tasty, broccoli and radish recipe.
To add to the unsexy, I dumped the contents into a large tupperware bowl (NOT SHOWN) and then wolfed it down while watching “Sweet Genius” on TV with no pants on (ALSO NOT SHOWN).
Because who needs pants and pizza when you have broccoli and radish?
WHO AM I?? SEND HELP.
Also, I am currently madly obsessed with avocado oil. It has a super high smoke rate and NO flavor, unlike olive oil and coconut oil. OBSESSED.
Unsexy (but tasty) Broccoli and Radish
- 1 head Broccoli Medium
- 1 bunch Radishes ~7-9 small to medium
- tablespoon Ponzu Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- 0.25 cups Slivered Almonds
- 0.25 cups Dried Cranberries no sugar on them
- Avocado Oil Or Cooking Fat ie olive oil
- Rinse veggies, cut broccoli into small florets
- Use food processor or mandolin to slice radishes into thin slices (LOVE that food processor)
- Heat up saute pan and add cooking fat of choice
- Add radishes first and cook until nicely browned
- Add broccoli and sautee until getting near tender
- Add about two tablespoons of ponzu sauce, to taste. Salt and pepper
- Near the final two minutes, add in your cranberries and almonds, stir to let everything meld
- Remove from heat.
- Optional: Dump into ugly tupperware bucket. Eat entire thing on the couch with no pants on
Here is the link to the full recipe/nutrition on MyFitnessPal.
It creates about 3 servings, if you are using this as a side serving to a main meal. I ate all of it as an entire meal.
~13 net carbs per serving, but those carbs are all coming from the broccoli. When paired with the fat, this is a low glycemic meal.
Used in this recipe: