I got over a pound of green beans and a slew of savory (the herb) in my CSA basket this week. Found this recipe on Epicurious that was low carb and made good use of the green beans, savory and some bacon that I needed to bake! So here is my low carb green beans recipe (just note that green beans can be a bit higher on the carb side so watch your portion size).
For those not familiar with the herb savory, there is a ‘summer’ and ‘winter’ version of savory. I’m using the summer savory which has a peppery taste. So if you don’t have savory, use cracked pepper as an alternative.
Reposting the recipe here:
Low Carb Green Beans with Savory and Bacon
A Low Carb Green Beans with savory and bacon – a delicious low carb, high fat side dish
- 1 pound Fresh Green Beans
- 3 strips Bacon
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Savory (Season to taste)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt.
- Drop beans in water and cook 3 minutes, then drain in colander.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-low heat, stirring until it renders most of its fat and is nearly crisp. (I kept all the fat in there)
- Add garlic to skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Raise heat, add beans and savory and toss 1 to 2 minutes to blend flavors. Season with pepper and salt.