While wandering around work today, I contemplated what to make for dinner. Twas Monday, which meant it had to be something low effort and needed to use up the ‘last leg’ items in the veggie bin to make room for my Tuesday CSA box. I also purchased some adorable crock soup bowls in various colors (see below for more details) on a whim the other day that had to be used for justification of purchase. I ultimately decided on a Low Carb Shephard’s Pie.
Thanks to my handy dandy herb savor, the Summer Savory herb I got in my CSA basket the other week was still going strong. I also had yellow and green squash, carrots, and garlic from the CSA basket. And I ALWAYS have cauliflower on hand!!
Note that the bowls I used hold almost 3 cups (700ml) and are 5″ in diameter, 2.5″ deep. So this leads to a very generous portion size (I couldn’t finish mine LOL).
Low Carb Shephard's Pie
- 1 head Cauliflower coarsely chopped
- 2-3 Carrots
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 1 Zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Egg
- 2 Sausages Your choice of sausage. I like Italian Sweet
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated (reserve 2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp Summer Savory or other preferred spices, such as thyme, basil, etc.
- Salt And Pepper
- Coarsely chop the cauliflower and steam until soft.
- While waiting for the cauliflower to soften, heat up a sautee pan and add oil.
- Coarsley chop the carrots and add to sautee pan.
- While waiting for carrots to soften (let them cook for at least 5+ minutes), coarsely chop the squashes, sausages and garlic. Add to saute pan and stir. Generously salt the veggie/sausage mix. Add in Savory during the last minute of cooking and stir.
- Blend the cauliflower, egg and cheese until mostly smooth, add salt and pepper to desired taste.
- Ladle veggie/sausage mixture into bowl (mine was 3 large serving spoonfuls) and cover with cauliflower mash (about 1.5 large serving spoonfuls). Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and broil on high for two more minutes, if desired.
Makes 4 very, very generous servings that come to 329 calories each, 12g net carbs, 19g of fat, 22g of protein.
Items used to make this recipe: