While perusing the grocery store the other week, there was a ‘buy one get one free’ option for meat. I saw these really cool thin cut round steaks; never seen something like this before so I nabbed two. Stuck them in the freezer until I figured out what I was going to do with them – make low carb napoleans! The savory, meaty, cheesy version of a napolean.
I layered the meat rounds with roasted eggplant rounds, fresh basil leaves, tomato slices and buffalo mozzarella slices, then broiled it. I even bought a cute lil basil plant, so I could use basil leaves. This was a fun dish to make, lots of room for creativity, so involve the kids if you want to see some interesting results.
Low Carb Napoleans
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Eggplant
- 10 Steak Rounds
- Salt And Pepper
- 2 Mozzarella Balls Large
- Shredded Mozzarella
- First - Eggplant Prep. Using a vegetable peeler, peel vertical stripes along your eggplant. This makes it so it's easy to cut up with the rest of the food, and doesn't have 'eggplant cling skin' going on. Cut eggplant into rounds and liberally salt to 'sweat' the eggplant. After about 10 minutes, wipe down your eggplant slices and put them on a baking sheet, douse some olive oil on them and put them into the oven for 20 minutes.
- While your eggplant is a'roastin, time to prep the meat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and put a skillet on the stove top, heat up some olive oil and cook your rounds for about 20 seconds per side. Yup, it's THAT fast. Set them aside.
- Now slice up your tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella into slices. By now, your eggplant should be ready to take out. It should be soft to the touch.
- Turn on your broiler to high.
- On a baking sheet, set up six rounds, then layer with the tomatoes, mozzarella, basil leaves, and eggplant. Get creative and crazy with your order. I had meat on the bottom, then eggplant, then more meat, then mozzarella, basil leaf then tomato on top. Sprinkle if desired with shredded cheeses.
- Broil for about 4 - 5 minutes (depending on your broiler). Remove and enjoy!!