Having decided upon baked peppers for dinner, I wandered around the grocery store and decided to walk on the wild side with some raw milk cheese. I got the Organic Valley Raw Milk Jack cheese. Turns out it’s pretty damn tasty and it cooked up great.
I wanted to keep the peppers simple and make them super kid friendly. I also wanted them to be almost like finger foods. You can definitely eat this as a main dish (which I did) or have it as a side (or appetizer, if you are getting all fancy and having a dinner party).
This is a very simple recipe and one kids can help out with!
Ham and Cheese Gypsy Peppers
- Sliced Ham
- Jack Cheese
- 6 Gypsy Peppers
- Cut peppers in half and remove the seeds
- Tuck half a slice of ham into each pepper
- Cut cheese into 'sticks' and nestle into peper
- Line baking sheet with aluminum and spray with non stick spray
- Put peppers on baking sheet, plop it into the oven, wait 20 minutes then voila!
I had them the next night as well. I’ll be honest – they are better fresh from the oven than as leftovers. I mean, I’ll eat the rest again tomorrow (hey, it’s tough cooking for one), but they taste best the night you make them.