In today’s Low Carb Thanksgiving substitute, we’ll be making a low carb version of the ever so sweet and popular Sweet Potato Casserole. We’ll use a mash up (literally! haha!) of two OTHER low carb vegetables to mimic this orange treat to make a low carb sweet potato casserole.
Here is a post on how to properly murder and break down your pumpkin for recipes such as this one.
I steam my cauliflower first until tender, then puree it in the food processor.
Low Carb Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups Pureed Pumpkin
- 2 cups Pureed Cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons Maple Extract
- 2 tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt e Add More Based On Preference
- 6 drops Liquid Stevia
- 0.5 cups Pumpkin Seeds Optional
- 0.75 cups Sliced Almonds Optional
- Mix your pumpkin and cauliflower puree together
- Mix in butter, maple extract, salt and stevia
- Taste - do you want it saltier/sweeter/maple-y-er? Add more of the salt/stevia/extract
- Once you reach your desired taste level, transfer mash into a baking dish and sprinkle the pumpkin seeds and almonds over evenly
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Transfer to broiler up to four more minutes to brown the almonds (keep a close eye to prevent burning - depends on your broiler!)
9 net carbs per portion – if you remove the nuts and seeds, it lowers the final carb count
Served here with lamb and chard!