Today’s recipe (Spaghetti Squash Lasagna) was created by an amazing, inspirational friend of mine. Nicole has lost over SIXTY FIVE pounds on a low carb, high fat diet. She also happens to be a chef by trade AND has adorable kitties. Her main kitty, Cupid, is featured below in all his swaggering adorableness. Here is her spaghetti squash recipe!
With enough peer pressure and time, I hope to have her as a regular contributor!
Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
Marinara Sauce Ingredients
- 1 can Hunts Basil Garlic & Oregano Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz
- 1 tablespoon Truvia or sweetener choice
- Salt And Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- 0.5 teaspoons Basil
- 0.25 cups Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Spaghetti Squash makes approx 3 cups
- 1.3 pounds Ground Beef
- Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Parsley
- Salt And Pepper
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese cheddar/jack/mozzarella all work, or a blend
- 0.75 cups Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Basil for garnish
- For the sauce, blend the chopped tomatoes and spices in a food processor
- Mix the processed tomatos and cheese into a sauce pan and heat on medium heat - let simmer and reduce while preparing the rest of the food
- Stab and microwave the spaghetti squash for about 12 mins - cut in half and scrape out the 'spaghetti'/flesh
- Place the scooped flesh onto a towel to drain excess moisture and give it a good squeeze once cool enough to handle.
- Sautee / brown the meat and season with salt and pepper. Drain the meat, as the spaghetti squash is moist.
- Mix the ricotta with the two eggs and parsley
- Place 1/3 of the marinara in the bottom of a 13 x 9 in casserole dish, then spread out half of the spaghetti squash over it.
- Next spread half of the ground beef on top of the spaghetti squash, then all of the ricotta cheese/ egg mixture.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- Top with another third of the marinara. Repeat the layering with more squash, ground beef, and cheese.
- Use the remaining marinara and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes and then let rest for 15 minutes. You have to let it rest or else you will just have a soupy mess.
- Makes 8 hearty servings.