And you know what? Turns out grilled avocados are awesome! Especially when sprinkled with cheese.
We managed to score perfectly ripe avocados. As anyone familiar with avocados know, they go from rock solid to squish the moment you turn away for a moment. Kind of like when you put a shirt on the bed while changing in the morning, turn around and then turn back and there is a CAT on the shirt. Stealth mode.
The result is a buttery, delicious, good-fat side dish (or snack) for your BBQ meal.
We rented a cabin near Sequoia national park. Little did we know, the property came with pet hungry cats. Here is a pic of the patio (and fantastic grill) with my poor boyfriend resigned to petting these lil monsters.
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise and remove pit
- Lightly cover in oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Over high heat on your grill, lay the flesh side down
- Grill for 3 minutes - the point is to get good grill marks on them, and not let them get too soft
- Remove from grill and sprinkle grated cheese while still hot so it melts
- Get creative - sprinkle bacon, sesame seeds, spicy sauce of choice, or other things