So update! I have moved and have a new kitchen. Here is a picture of my new kitchen. It’s a little small in terms of storage, but actually has a lot of prep space, which is great. I’ve been able to make ‘assembly lines’ and get a lot done with out knocking everything onto the floor. Lots of room to make a low carb casserole – ultimate in comfort food AND not have to deal with cooking the next night. PERFECT COMBINATION.
Tonight I felt like making a modified version of a low carb Shephard’s pie.
Low Carb Casserole
- 1.5 pounds Ground Hamburger
- 2 cloves Garlic or garlic powder
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 2 bunchs For Broccoli
- 1 head Cauliflower Large
- 3 tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Egg
- 0.5 cups Shredded Cheese
- Salt And Pepper Plenty of
- Olive Oil
- Saute the hamburger with olive oil, minced garlic cloves and at least 2 tablespoons of soy sauce; add salt and pepper
- When hamburger is almost entirely cooked through, spread mixture on the bottom of a casserole dish
- Cut the red bell pepper and broccoli into small pieces (about half an inch for the bell pepper, and an inch for the broccoli) and saute in olive oil until tender
- When pepper and broccoli are tender, put mixture on top of ground beef mixture in the casserole dish.
- Add at least two tablespoons of soy sauce and a tablespoon of sesame oil to the vegetable mixture. Salt and pepper to taste (if using full salt soy sauce, be lighter on the extra salt)
- Cut up the cauliflower into small pieces and steam until very tender
- Add cauliflower, cream, butter, 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese, rest of the sesame oil, salt and pepper to a food processor and blend until smooth
- Take mixture out of processor and manually stir in egg
- Coat mixture on top of casserole, smoothing over the top
- Sprinkle remaining cheese (and add pepper, if desired) on top of casserole
- Bake for 20 minutes, broil if desired for several more
Serves 6 generous portions
If you have gluten sensitivities, make sure your soy sauce is gluten free!