I was overwhelmed with a mysterious urge to make meat loaf. No rhyme or reason, but meatloaf had to be made!! And not just any meatloaf but BACON wrapped meat loaf. So I created this low carb meat loaf recipe!
My first thought was – what to substitute for the bread crumbs to keep it low carb? Easy – riced cauliflower!
My second thought was – let’s bacon wrap this baby!
My third thought was – bacon makes everything better, but cheese makes everything best! So I decided a firm cheese that wouldn’t dissolve during cooking, like feta, would be perfect.
The result? My bacon wrapped meatloaf-baby. The extra kicker? You only use about a cup of cauliflower so there is plenty left to turn into cauliflower mashed “potatoes” to serve with the meat loaf.
Meat loaf and mashed cauliflower = a match made in heaven.
Low Carb Meat Loaf
- 1 pound 85% Ground Meat or fattier
- 0.5 pounds Sweet Italian Sausage not in casing
- 1 Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- Olive Oil
- 0.25 cups Feta Cheese Cut Into Cubes
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Finely Riced Cauliflower ~1/4 head cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons Thyme
- 1 tablespoon Hot Sauce i used valentino's hot sauce
- Salt And Pepper
- Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil until transparent, let cool.
- While sauteing, line a baking sheet with tinfoil. Then line a cooling rack with tinfoil and poke holes in it with a knife. Place cooling rack on top of baking sheet (which will catch the drippings).
- Mix meats, onion, garlic, eggs, cauliflower, thyme and hot sauce with your hands. Squish and smooch, people!
- Add in the feta cheese and generously salt and pepper, squish and smoosh some more.
- Shape mixture into a loaf and transfer onto the tinfoil lined cooling rack. You may need to reshape it back into a loafy shape.
- Line bacon horizontally across the loaf and tuck the edges under the loaf, as the bacon will curl up while cooking.
- Take second half of bacon and weave it through the first batch (you may need to re tuck some edges).
- Bake for at least an hour (mine took 1:15) or until meat thermometer reads 160. Let cool for about 10 - 20 minutes before serving.
- Use this time while baking to make your caulimash and other sides. I used thyme in this batch to complement the meat loaf.
- Cut along the horizontal bacon per piece.
Voila! A giant, leftover-worthy low carb meat loaf recipe ready to feed an army. 🙂