Continuing the low carb pizza theme for the week, I wanted to share a fantastic Julia Child based recipe, Tranches d’aubergine Ã¡ l’italienne. AKA EggplantPizzas. I’m sure that is an exact translation (hah!).
This lovely post inspired me for this dish, although mine is a “dumbed down” (or as I like to pretend, “streamlined”) version.
A lot of people purport that they do not like eggplant; prepared incorrectly, it can be bitter and icky tasting. That is why it is important to ‘sweat’ the eggplant prior to cooking to reduce bitterness.
Directions: Pre heat oven to 375
1. Slice the eggplant into 1/2″ pieces (3/4″ if you want them ‘firmer’), along the veggie. The size of the eggplant will dictate the number of ‘pizzas’ you get.
2. Lay the eggplant slices out on paper towels and liberally salt. Leave them for 30 minutes. I usually use this time to prep whatever side dishes/veggies I’ll be serving with the ‘zas.
3. Wipe the eggplant slices off with a paper towel and brush them with olive oil. If you lack brush, smear olive oil on them with your hands. Pop them on a aluminum foil lined tray and bake them for about 20-25 minutes
4. Remove from oven and spoon some sauce on them then sprinkle cheese. You can also pop on any additional toppings you may want at this time, such as mushrooms, olives, meat, etc.
5. Pop back in the oven for up to five more minutes (or optionally, broil) to melt the cheese.
These are popular even with kids! Kid tested and approved by my niece and nephew, and also tested and approved by self-proclaimed eggplant haters.