Got a giant red cabbage in my CSA box the other week. It has been sitting in my veggie bin, staring at me, beckoning me, saying ‘Look, just because you don’t have any experience with me yet, doesn’t mean we can’t pop that cherry’. I replied that it was being crude and we would discuss it’s attitude at another point.
So last night I finally hunkered down, plucked off some of the yellowing outer leafs and grabbed my mandoline. Cut that jerk-face cabbage into four big chunks and SHREDDED HIM TO BITS!!!
Shredded two carrots from the CSA box with a finer cut on the mandoline and threw that in for extra pretty color.
Red Cabbage Slaw
- cup Red Cabbage ~3 cups shredded
- Carrots 2 finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons Peanut Or Almond Butter
- 3 tablespoons Rice Vinegar 3 tbsp
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce 2 tbsp
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil 2 tbsp
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice 2 tbsp
- Add all sauce ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
- Dump sauce onto cabbage/carrot and mix
- Optional: Top with sliced green onions and/or peanuts
That’s it! The peanut butter gives it a nice creaminess, as well as added fat for the slaw. The rice vinegar gives it a tang.