The following is an Abundant Harvest Organics Review of the service and what contents came in a box received in the Spring.
I get a weekly Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) box of whatever is in season from local farms from Abundant Harvest Organics. Abundant Harvest Organics doesn’t allow you to choose the items – you get what they give you. This causes a bit of a conflict for me because there is too much fruit and being low carb, I don’t eat much fruit. I’ll be changing over soon to another service that has a veggie only box that allows me to restrict certain veggies (such as potatoes) from being put in my box.
While carrying my box around, I was like ‘gee, did they put some bowling balls in here?’. Close enough – there were THREE cantaloupes! This is probably the biggest haul I’ve ever gotten from this service. I started getting the CSA box around the same time I went low carb and it’s changed my life – I cook with fresh foods and have to get creative as to not be wasteful and let anything die in the fridge.
Here is the haul from this basket alone:
- Cantaloupe – kept one, gave two away. First time getting these
- Chili Peppers – can’t handle spicy, but might try to make a Thai curry
- Garlic – in just about everything I cook
- Green beans – love them, especially with pesto
- Heirloom tomatoes – they honestly DO taste better
- Lettuce – standard, but might try to make a soup out of it (!)
- Sage – going to remake the goat cheese & sage quiche, soo gooood
- Stone fruit – peaches, apricots, etc. Gave them all away
- Summer squash – never get enough, perfect for squasage
- Turnips – I just bought a veggie-noodle maker after failing to make ‘noodles’ with the potato peeler. Pretty excited
So this basket was full of great stuff but I look forward to getting a veggie only basket. Do you use a CSA service? If so, are you allowed to choose the items? One reason I like not being able to choose is that it forced me to learn how to cook new things. But there are always going to be things I just won’t/can’t use, such as cilantro (YUCK).
Do you use a CSA Service? If you use AHO, what did you think of my Abundant Harvest Organics Review?
Nancy Monaghan says
I live outside of Boston and am a friend of your fathers. He has been talking about lowcarbkitty and this is the first time that I got a chance to review it. You have done a great job being creative and your presentations are terrific. Someday we will meet and talk food. At fifty a made a career change and went to culinary school to become a cook.I love what you have done….I can tell that you are enjoying yourself…best to you….Nancy